Beyond Lattes: St. Louis’ Best Pumpkin Spice Specials This Fall
St. Louis, MO/September 25, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) – Ah fall! The leaves are turning. The days are shorter, bringing the promise of cooler weather. And the warm aroma of pumpkin spice is everywhere! We’ve become accustomed to the annual return of pumpkin pie spiced lattes at our favorite coffee shop. Some curse it. Others embrace it fully. I’ll confess that I fall into the latter group. There is nothing as delicious on a chilly fall day as a well-brewed pumpkin pie spiced latte, except maybe a pumpkin pie spiced donut or a fluffy pumpkin waffle to go with it. Perhaps you prefer your pumpkin pie spice in a more savory application? How about those rich, spicy pumpkin flavors in pasta, soup, or beer? St. Louis has it all, and diners have a variety of favorite ways to enjoy this classic fall flavor. After pouring through customer reviews, we found St. Louis’ favorites sweet and savory uses of pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice—including lattes.
Leading the pack is the iconic southside frozen custard stand, Ted Drewes. Their Great Pumpkin Concrete is a great way to enjoy the flavors of pumpkin spice season, aka autumn, while it’s still relatively warm. It’s Ted Drewes ultra-creamy custard blended with a slice of pumpkin pie—crust and all—then topped with a generous portion of whipped cream. For lovers of creamy, pumpkin pie goodness, there is nothing better on a warm September evening. But then Ted Drewes is St. Louis’ original frozen custard, serving up hand-dipped cones, concretes, shakes, malts, sundaes, and floats since 1929. It’s a truly multigenerational treat! And lucky for us, the St. Louis Hills location is open all fall, serving the Great Pumpkin Concrete, St. Louis’ favorite way to get their pumpkin pie spice fix this season.
St. Louis loves a good pumpkin pie spiced latte too, and this week’s top 10 list reflects that with three slots on the list filled with places that specialize in making this seasonal drink. The customer reviews show that St. Louis loves pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice in many forms. From cupcakes to beer, this top 10 list has something for everyone. Here are the top 10 ways to enjoy pumpkin pies spice season in St. Louis:
1. Ted Drewes (4.61 stars/3646 reviews) Saint Louis Hills, 6726 Chippewa Street, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 481-2652. The Great Pumpkin Concrete is their ultra-creamy custard blended with a slice of pumpkin pie.
2. Piccione Pastry (4.54 stars/316 reviews) The Loop, 6197 Delmar Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63112, (314) 932-1355. Pumpkin cannoli and pumpkin spice cassata cakes.
3. Picasso’s Coffee House (4.49 stars/281 reviews) St Charles, 101 North Main Street, Saint Charles, MO 63301, (636) 925-2911. Pumpkin spice latte.
4. Kaldi’s Coffee Roasting Company (4.30 stars/229 reviews) DeMun, 700 DeMun Ave, Clayton, MO 63105, (314) 727-9955. Pumpkin spice latte made with real pumpkin purée, maple syrup and nutmeg.
5. The Cup (4.27 stars/300 reviews) Central West End, 28 Maryland Plaza (Rear), Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 367-6111. Pumpkin Harvest Cupcake – cinnamon icing with pumpkin spice cake.
6. Kaldi’s Coffeehouse (4.17 stars/115 reviews) Clayton, 187 Carondelet Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63105, (314) 726-2900. Pumpkin spice. When a chain store makes the list twice, you know there’s something special about this drink.
7. Park Avenue Coffee (4.15 stars/209 reviews) Downtown, 417 North 10th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63101, (314) 231-5282. Pumpkin gooey butter cake and pumpkin spice latte.
8. The Schlafly Tap Room (4.11 stars/957 reviews) Downtown, 2100 Locust Street, Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 241-2337. Pumpkin Ale.
9. City Coffeehouse & Crêperie (4.11 stars/471 reviews) Clayton, 36 North Brentwood Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63105, (314) 862-2489. Pumpkin waffles and pumpkin pie crepes. Wash it down with their pumpkin spice coffee.
10. Porano Pasta (4.08 stars/189 reviews) Downtown, 634 Washington Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63101, (314) 833-6414. Homemade pasta with pumpkin seed and lime pesto.
With so many great places offering their take on pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice this season, it’s not surprising there are some really terrific options that didn’t quite make the top 10 list. These establishments know their way around this quintessentially autumn treat, and so to them we offer Honorable Mentions:
Bailey’s Range (3.92 stars/1679 reviews) Downtown, 920 Olive Street, Saint Louis, MO 63101, (314) 241-8121. This is a well-loved downtown restaurant that offers an amazing take on this seasonal favorite: The Great Pumpkin float. It’s made with Schlafly Pumpkin Ale and pumpkin-pie ice cream (with chunks of pie in it). This salute to pumpkin pie is unlike anything else, and well worth your attention.
The Coffeehouse Company (4.48 stars/25 reviews) Metro-East, 1333 Central Park Drive, O Fallon, IL 62269, (618) 624-6343. This unassuming little coffee shop is known for their great service, great prices, homemade baked goods, and unique drink selection. (Caramel apple Italian creme soda anyone?) Their pumpkin caramel latte lives up to their high rating. It is like autumn in a warm, creamy cup.
St. Louis Hills Donut Shop (4.73 stars/49 reviews) St. Louis Hills, 6917 Hampton Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 481-6050. If you’ve never had a pumpkin spice cake donut, then you haven’t fully explored the wonders of pumpkin spice season. As customers will attest, nobody does this seasonal delicacy better. The donuts are always fresh and they will chocolate glaze any donut you want. Chocolate glazed pumpkin spice cake donut. Nuff said.