St. Louis’ Favorites for National Cheesecake Day
St. Louis, MO/July 30, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) – National Cheesecake Day is a real day. Yay! It’s today, July 30th, so it’s the perfect time to have a slice of your favorite kind. Of course, we’re all familiar with the dense, creaminess that is New York style cheesecake. And many St. Louis diners have enjoyed an Italian style ricotta cheesecake. Many southsider are familiar with the creamy, cakey German-style cheesecake (Käsekuchen), but there are literally dozens of ways to make cheesecake, and all of them delicious. Now that’s a food worth celebrating, in all its glorious forms.
We wanted to know where St. Louis diners go when they get a hankering for this sweet, creamy delicacy. You will find it on the dessert menus of hundreds of restaurants all over the metro area. And most bakeries have their versions too. So we checked the customer reviews to find the local favorites, and what we found was a nice mix of bakeries, cafes, fine dining establishments—even a vegan restaurant—that all offer cheesecake St. Louis diners consider to be a cut above the rest.
Topping our list is Kruta Bakery in Collinsville. This fourth-generation family-owned bakery has been making delicious baked goods for metro east residents since 1919. This is a full-service traditional bakery, offering everything from bread and rolls to custom cakes, pastries, seasonal treats, and cheesecake. The neighborhood vibe goes well with the friendly, efficient service. During peak times, expect to take a number and stand in line, but you can use the few minutes to decide what else you’re getting beside the old-fashioned cheesecake, perhaps a French cheese horn, some cheese Danishes, maybe a cheese stolen—and while you’re there, pick up a couple dozen Jimmies (donut holes filled with raspberry).
There are cheesecake options for everyone on our Top 10 list, so without further ado, here are St. Louis’ favorite places to go to satisfy that cheesecake craving on National Cheesecake Day and beyond:
1. Kruta Bakery (4.75 stars/169 reviews) Collinsville, 300 Saint Louis Road, Collinsville, IL 62234, (618) 344-1115.
2. Missouri Baking Company (4.75 stars/596 reviews) The Hill, 2027 Edwards Street, Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 773-6566.
3. Sucrose (4.70 stars/50 reviews) St. Charles, 700 South Fifth Street, Saint Charles, MO 63301, (314) 288-9176.
4. Sugaree Baking Co. (4.55 stars/56 reviews) Dogtown, 1242 Tamm Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63139, (314) 645-5496.
5. Helfer’s Pastries & Deli Cafe (4.54 stars/59 reviews) Florissant, 380 Saint Ferdinand Street, Florissant, MO 63031, (314) 837-6050.
6. Seedz Cafe (4.54 stars/138 reviews) Clayton, 6344 South Rosebury, Saint Louis, MO 63105, (314) 725-7333.
7. Piccione Pastry (4.54 stars/297 reviews) The Loop, 6197 Delmar Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63112, (314) 932-1355.
8. Russell’s Cafe and Bakery (4.48 stars/199 reviews) Fenton, 952 Brookwood Center, Fenton, MO 63026, (636) 343-8900.
9. Russell’s on Macklind (4.43 stars/350 reviews) Southampton, 5400 Murdoch Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 553-9994.
10. Kreis Restaurant (4.31 stars/357 reviews) Frontenac, 535 South Lindbergh Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63131, (314) 993-0735.
With thousands of restaurants, bakeries, and cafes offering cheesecake to hungry diners, there were a few places to not that didn’t quite make the top 10 list, but are still worth your attention. So, to these fine cheesecake makers we offer Honorable Mentions:
Hank’s Cheesecakes (4.46 stars/47 reviews) Richmond Heights, 1063 South Big Bend Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63117, (314) 781-0300. They’ve been making homemade cheesecake at Hank’s for 30 years, and they make it in more than 35 flavors, including sugar free and gluten free varieties. They also make amazing brownies, lemon bars, and some melt-in-your-mouth delicious chocolate cakes.
A Little Taste of Heaven Bakery (4.61 stars/38 reviews) Edwardsville, 219 Hillsboro Avenue, Edwardsville, IL 62025, (618) 659-8569. This neighborhood bakery in Edwardsville is known for their cheesecakes—they offer a wide variety of flavors each day. Their original is an extra creamy, all-natural cheesecake (cherry topping available), but they also do turtle, death by chocolate, white chocolate raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, Oreo, key lime, and seasonal varieties like pumpkin and peppermint bark.
Federhofer’s Bakery (4.32 stars/53 reviews) Affton, 9005 Gravois Road, Affton, MO 63123, (314) 832-5116. This mom and pop bakeshop has been making a range of breads, pastries, cakes, pies, and other treats—including cheesecake—for hungry south-siders for more than 50 years. They are one of the few places in town that makes the classic St. Louis style chiffon cheesecake (which is light, and sweet and simply delectable), but you may need to order it ahead.