Longtime Kirkwood Favorite Tops Best Diners List
St. Louis, MO/August 27, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) – Fine dining establishments have their place in the culinary world, but sometimes you want fresh, comfort food served up quickly in a friendly, social setting. You want diner food. There’s just nothing like a late-night burger, grilled to order on a flat top and served with fries smothered in cheese and chili. Or fresh pie with a steaming cup of joe. Or how about a couple of fried eggs, French toast, and chewy bacon with crispy edges—for dinner. Yep. That’s diner food, and there are some terrific places to get it and the friendly service that goes with it, across the St. Louis area.
We wanted to know who does it best. And after checking the customer reviews, we found the highest rated diner in the metro area is Kirkwood mainstay, Spencer’s Grill. This old-fashioned diner has been serving comfort food to locals since 1947. Spencer’s is especially well-loved for their breakfasts—fresh omelets, waffles, French toast, and buttery pancakes with crispy edges. In classic diner fashion, breakfast is served all day. They also do scrapple. That’s grits and sausage formed into a patty, then dipped in pancake batter, fried and topped with sausage gravy. You can also get a slinger: two eggs, hash browns and choice of breakfast meat, all topped with chili, cheese, and onions. Or have it topped with white sausage gravy instead (the Slammer).
Lunch crowds love Spencer’s traditional diner sandwiches, like the BLT, turkey club, or chili cheese dogs, and the classic burgers. And in classic diner style, you can have that sandwich with a side of fries, and a milkshake or slice of pie if you like. Lunch items are also available all day.
One of the things that makes Spencer’s Grill St. Louis’ favorite diner is the customary diner hospitality. This is the kind of place where you can go for a whole meal, or just a slice of pie with a side of neighborhood gossip. It’s the kind of place where, after a few visits, they learn your name and how you take your coffee—the kind of place where they dish out comfort food and company. But then, that’s the magic of a diner. And all ten on our list offer that special neighborly feel and delicious food. Here are the top 10 diners in the St. Louis area:
1. Spencer’s Grill (4.42 stars/156 reviews) Kirkwood, 223 South Kirkwood Road, Kirkwood, MO 63122, (314) 821-2601.
2. Southwest Diner (4.37 stars/515 reviews) Ellendale, 6803 Southwest Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63143, (314) 260-7244.
3. Allin’s Diner (4.35 stars/168 reviews) St. Charles, 130 North Kingshighway Street, Saint Charles, MO 63301, (636) 946-5556.
4. Goody Goody Diner (4.34 stars/202 reviews) Wells/Goodfellow, 5900 Natural Bridge Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63120, (314) 383-3333.
5. Dave’s Diner (4.34 stars/93 reviews) Concord, 5513 South Lindbergh Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63128, (314) 842-1514.
6. White Knight Diner (4.30 stars/107 reviews) Downtown, 1801 Olive Street, Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 621-5949.
7. Chili Mac’s Diner (4.23 stars/223 reviews) Downtown, 510 Pine Street, Saint Louis, MO 63101, (314) 421-9040.
8. Gingham’s Homestyle Restaurant (4.13 stars/283 reviews) St. Charles, 1881 Sherman Drive, Saint Charles, MO 63303, (636) 946-0266.
9. Florissant City Diner (4.12 stars/69 reviews) Old Town, 1060 Rue Saint Francois Street, Florissant, Saint Louis, MO 63031, (314) 831-4375.
10. Olivette Diner (3.97 stars/136 reviews) Olivette, 9638 Olive Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63132, (314) 995-9945.
As usually happens when we scope out the best of St. Louis’ restaurant scene, a few places came up that didn’t quite make the top 10 list, but are still well worth your attention. To these fine establishments, we offer Honorable Mentions:
South Main Diner (4.50 stars/28 reviews) Metro-east, 421 South Main Street, Caseyville, IL 62232, (618) 344-4005. They’re serving affordable comfort food—breakfast, lunch, and dinner—seven days a week. They also have a gaming room with slot machines and video poker in the back.
George Rivolo Diner (4.35 stars/31 reviews) Overland, 2539 Woodson Road, Saint Louis, MO 63114, (314) 428-1143. This is a cash only establishment that serves breakfast and lunch in a diminutive space. The country-fried steak and eggs are classic. The hash browns and fries are fresh-cut from whole potatoes. And customers rave about the friendly service.
Carondelet Diner (4.12 stars/41 reviews) The Patch, 321 East Davis Street, Saint Louis, MO 63111, (314) 833-3470. They’ve been around for a while, but recently changed ownership. Their friendly service, fried chicken, and smothered breakfast are south city favorites. They also do fish fry Fridays year-round, featuring a rotating menu of tender, crispy fried fish with two sides. This is one of the best places to get the South-side classic: fried jack salmon.