The Best Hummus, Shawarma, Paella, and Mediterranean Fare in Town – Top 10 Mediterranean Restaurants in St. Louis
ST. LOUIS, MO/October 7, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) — Mediterranean cuisine includes the traditional dishes and foods native to all of the lands that border the Mediterranean Sea. Most westerners are familiar with foods associated with Spain, France, Italy, and Greece. But Mediterranean fare also includes the flavors and aromas of a dozen other lands like Turkey, Syria, Israel, Libya, and Morocco. Still there are certain elements that tie all these cuisines together. The warm climates and close proximity to the sea means Mediterranean food is generally rich in lean proteins, like chicken, fish and legumes, loaded with fresh fruits and vegetables, along with whole grains, seeds, nuts, and healthy fats like olive oil. There’s also a noticeably limited use of dairy and red meats, at least by American standards. We’ve all heard about the studies that show this style of eating is very healthy, but fans of Mediterranean food will also tell you it’s fabulously delicious.
Being a great food city, St. Louis has no shortage of restaurants specializing in Mediterranean fare. Here you’ll find everything from simple gyro and shawarma vendors to fine dining establishments offering elegant dolmas and delectable paellas. In order to find the best Mediterranean restaurants in town, we checked the customer reviews across the metro area. What we found were dozens of terrific restaurants offering some amazing food and ethnic culture for us to gobble up. The top ten are a unique list of welcoming establishments that offer authentic Mediterranean fare.
Taking the number one slot is Medina Mediterranean Grill, a Palestinian fast-casual fusion restaurant along Washington Avenue’s downtown entertainment district. Ibrahim Ead opened the casual eatery in 2015, offering sandwiches, salads, fresh hummus and rice bowls that blend the classic flavors of Palestinian fare with new world ingredients (like pesto or chipotle). Ead’s dishes are approachable and comforting, with a delicious nod to the exotic. You can get a classic falafel on pita, or a sandwich that blends cultures like the “Summer in Dubai” sandwich. It’s authentic chicken shawarma on French bread with tomato, pepper jack cheese, and chipotle sauce. Craving salad? How about a Caesar salad topped with chicken shawarma? Medina’s menu is brief and the space is small, but the mix is memorable, and you can finish your meal with a lovely piece of baklava.
St. Louis’ favorite Mediterranean restaurants are bursting with flavor and authentic culinary culture. These are the top 10 Mediterranean restaurants in St. Louis, according to customer reviews:
1. Medina Mediterranean Grill (4.71 stars/177 reviews) Downtown, 1327 Washington Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 241-1356.
2. Cafe Nova (4.53 stars/136 reviews) Princeton Heights, 5611 South Kingshighway Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 351-7443.
3. The Gyro Company (4.45 stars/229 reviews) Two locations: Oakville, 5496 Baumgartner Road, Saint Louis, MO 63129, (314) 499-4939; and Princeton Heights, 7240 Gravois Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 832-2563.
4. Troy Mediterranean Cuisine (4.42 stars/98 reviews) Valley Park, 19 Stonegate Center, Valley Park, MO 63088, (636) 517-1141.
5. Remy’s Kitchen & Wine Bar (4.42 stars/346 reviews) Clayton, 222 South Bemiston Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63105, (314) 726-5757.
6. Anthonino’s Taverna (4.38 stars/1022 reviews) The Hill, 2225 Macklind Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 773-4455.
7. Al-Tarboush Deli (4.36 stars/124 reviews) The Loop, 602 Westgate Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63130, (314) 725-1944.
8. Kaslik Mediterranean Cuisine (4.34 stars/77 reviews) Hazelwood, 7847 North Lindbergh Blvd, Hazelwood, MO 63042, (314) 972-8282.
9. Tazé Mediterranean Street Food (4.32 stars/209 reviews) Downtown, 626 Washington Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63101, (314) 254-7953.
10. Aya Sofia (4.27 stars/301 reviews) Lindenwood Park, 6671 Chippewa Street, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 645-9919.
St. Louis’ appetite for Mediterranean food continues to grow and new restaurants continue to open to satisfy it. Some notable establishments are getting high praise from their customers, but haven’t yet garnered enough reviews (minimum 50) to make it onto our top 10 list. So, to these outstanding restaurants, we offer Honorable Mentions:
Albadia (4.65 stars/37 reviews) St. Peters, 3957 Mid Rivers Mall Drive, Saint Peters, MO 63376, (636) 317-1777. This gem opened in March 2017, bringing authentic Mediterranean cuisine (Middle Eastern) to the St. Peters and Cottleville area. Customers especially like their baba ganoush, kibbeh, stuffed grape leaves, and the garlic.
The Palm Trees Restaurant (4.59 stars/34 reviews) Benton Park West, 2837 Cherokee Street, St. Louis, MO 63118, (314) 226-9243. This place opened late last year offering Saudi Arabian fare, including rich lamb dishes and biryani. Another unique aspect at The Palm Trees is the choice of dining space. Downstairs from the American-style dining room, is a traditional Saudi dining space, where customers sit on cushions and eat family-style from plates placed on the floor.
Phoenicia Mediterranean Deli (4.40 stars/48 reviews) Ballwin, 15344 Manchester Road, Ballwin, MO 63011, (314) 764-9222. This place specializes in Lebanese-inspired cuisine and fresh baked goods. The menu is loaded with vegetable-forward, healthy dishes. Diners especially praise the chicken shawarma, spinach and cheese pie, and the fattouch.