STL Restaurants with the Best Patios, Decks & Sidewalk Cafes
St. Louis, MO/April 4, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) – Ah Spring! The daffodils are blooming along the interstate. The trees are leafing out. The fountains around town are returning to life. And St. Louis diners are looking for a great meal they can enjoy in the great outdoors. Dining al fresco is a warm weather tradition in the Gateway City. We’re fortunate to have a lot of great restaurant gardens, patios, and sidewalk cafes to choose from all over the metro area. So we wanted to know which are St. Louis’ favorites. Where are the sure bets for a great meal in a pleasant outdoor dining space?
We checked the customer reviews and found some of the highest rated restaurants in St. Louis also offer great outdoor dining too. While compiling the data for the list, one thing stood out: when St. Louis eats outdoors, we tend to prefer casual dining venues. We also tend to prefer restaurants that offer adult refreshments to accompany that meal. All of the restaurants in the top ten offer great food, a terrific outdoor dining space, and some combination of craft beer, artisan cocktails, and/or an ample wine selection.
Topping the list is St. Louis’ favorite pizza place. Melo’s Pizzeria is one of the latest culinary destinations to emerge in Benton Park. It sits just behind another St. Louis favorite, Blues City Deli. (The sandwich shop is a two-time Yelp “Top 100 Places to Eat,” making the list in 2016 and 2017.) Melo’s came about when Blues City owner Vince Valenza converted the garage behind the deli into a pizzeria. Melo’s authentic wood-fired Neapolitan-style pizza made with simple, high quality ingredients has become St. Louis’ favorite. And the lovely patio next to the shop is a favorite dining destination any time the weather is warm enough to eat outdoors. Good thing, since there’s no room inside the pizza garage for tables! Be sure to check their Facebook page before heading over, since their hours change daily.
The following list of St. Louis’ top 10 outdoor dining destinations is based on customer reviews. In order to make the list, restaurants had to have at least 50 reviews and a dedicated outdoor dining space.
1. Melo’s Pizzeria (4.87stars/52 reviews) Benton Park, 2438 McNair Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 833-4489.
2. Edibles & Essentials (4.72 stars/89 reviews) Saint Louis Hills, 5815 Hampton Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 328-2300.
3. Hendel’s Restaurant (4.63 stars/386 reviews) Florissant Old Town, 599 Saint Denis Street, Florissant, MO 63031, (314) 837-2304.
4. Lulu’s Local Eatery (4.60 stars/248 reviews) Tower Grove South, 3201 South Grand, Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 300-8215.
5. Sauce on the Side (4.54 stars/205 reviews) Downtown, 411 North 8th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63101, (314) 241-5667.
6. Bella Vino Wine Bar & Tapas (4.53 stars/270 reviews) St. Charles, 325 South Main Street, St. Charles, MO 63301, (636) 724-3434.
7. Cleveland-Heath (4.51 stars/626 reviews) Downtown Edwardsville, 106 North Main Street, Edwardsville, IL 62025, (618) 307-4830.
8. Broadway Oyster Bar (4.51 stars/1960 reviews) Downtown, 736 South Broadway, Saint Louis, MO 63102, (314) 621-8811.
9. Russell’s on Macklind (4.48 stars/426 reviews) Southampton, 5400 Murdoch Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 553-9994.
10. Sugarfire Smoke House (4.46 stars/641 reviews) St. Charles, 3150 Elm Point Industrial Drive, Saint Charles, MO 63301, (636) 724-7601.
Charlie Gitto’s on the Hill (4.40 stars/914 reviews) The Hill, 5226 Shaw Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 772-8898. Fine dining al fresco. There is no other fine dining destination that offers this level of culinary excellence and impeccable service, along with a beautiful outdoor dining experience. Customer reviews give their patio the highest ratings among St. Louis’ fine dining establishments. When you want the very best Italian cuisine, steak, and seafood, and you want to enjoy St. Louis’ lovely spring weather, this is your dining destination.
Urban Chestnut Brewing Company (4.29 stars/325 reviews) Covenant Blu/Grand Center, 3229 Washington Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 222-0143. This local brewpub offers light fare, including traditional pretzels, meats and cheeses that pair exceptionally well with its craft beer—and you get it all in a traditional German-style beer garden setting. One step inside and you can almost hear the oom-pah-pah band!
John D. McGurk’s Irish Pub (4.25 stars/564 reviews) Soulard, 1200 Russell Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 776-8309. This is one of St. Louis’ most authentic Irish Pubs. Inside, it’s the dark wood and brick pub one would expect. Outside there’s a beautifully landscaped garden with a lovely central fountain. Add authentic Irish food, drink, and live music, and McGurk’s feels worlds away from St. Louis.