The Top 10 Coffee Shops Across St. Louis
St. Louis, MO/July 9, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News)(Best Coffee, St. Louis, Top 10) – When I think of great coffee, I think of a rich, robust, perfectly brewed cup of caffeinated heaven. My preference is for a medium-dark roast, brewed moderately strong, and served black. Of course, I also enjoy a well made cappuccino, with it’s lovely, rich foam. And I won’t say no to a rich, sweet, creamy caramel latte, when offered. In other words, I, like many St. Louisans, love coffee in all its wondrous varieties. In a city with four full seasons (autumn, winter, spring, and oh-that’s-what-they-mean-by-humidity! summer), it’s refreshing to know our local coffee purveyors have specialty brews and blends for each. In fall, the ubiquitous pumpkin spice latte fills the bill. In winter, peppermint mocha warms our bones. In spring, cold-pressed and iced coffees have appeal. And for summer, nothing beats the cooling chill of a frozen, blended cappuccino or macchiato. So, when we went in search of the best coffee in St. Louis, we were looking for more than just my regular cup of joe. We wanted to know where everyone could go for the best coffee offerings across the broader spectrum of coffee tastes.
What we found was an astonishing number of restaurants, shops, and cafes that offer great coffee. We checked the customer reviews, to find the coffee sellers St. Louis diners like the best. This top ten list includes coffee specialists across the metro area. From Belleville to St. Charles, there’s a wealth of great coffee and espresso drinks to be found. Topping the customer reviews is Alton’s only independent coffee shop, Maeva’s Coffee inside The Milton Schoolhouse. Maeva’s Coffee is a unique endeavor, a 100% crowd-sourced and independently funded community project. Maeva’s features fair-trade coffee and a signature espresso blend created for them by Goshen Coffee in Edwardsville. They’re also well-loved for their internationally inspired quiche menu, and their seasonal beverage menu. Right now, that includes refreshing choices like the Aztec (South American spice cacao in a blended beverage, with or without espresso) and the the non-caffeinated Cucumber Mint Spritzer (fresh cucumber mint puree carbonated with a dash of lightly sweetened tonic syrup).
North, south, east, or west, there’s a great place to find your favorite coffee drink near you. Here are St. Louis’ favorites, the top 10 coffee shops in the metro area:
1. Maeva’s Coffee (4.74 stars/73 reviews) Alton, 1320 Milton Road, Alton, IL 62002, (618) 581-7510.
2. Coma Coffee Roasters (4.73 stars/50 reviews) Richmond Heights, 1034 South Brentwood Blvd, Richmond Heights, MO 63117, (314) 250-1042.
3. Comet Coffee & Microbakery (4.65 stars/255 reviews) Cheltenham, 5708 Oakland Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 932-7770.
4. Kitchen House Coffee (4.64 stars/56 reviews) Compton Heights, 3149 Shenandoah Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 732-0009.
5. Piccione Pastry Cafe (4.62 stars/295 reviews) The Loop, 6197 Delmar Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63112, (314) 932-1355.
6. Cafe Nova (4.58 stars/125 reviews) Princeton Heights, 5611 South Kingshighway Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 351-7443.
7. Pint Size Bakery & Coffee (4.51 stars/172 reviews) Lindenwood Park, 3133 Watson Road, Saint Louis, MO 63139, (314) 645-7142.
8. The Abbey Espresso Bar and Café (4.49 stars/75 reviews) Belleville, 5801 West Main Street, Belleville, IL 62223, (618) 277-8373.
9. Teaspoons Cafe (4.43 stars/95 reviews) Edwardsville, 2125 South Rt 157, Edwardsville, IL 62025, (618) 655-9595.
10. 2Schae Cafe (4.42 stars/181 reviews) DeBaliviere Place, 275 Union Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 361-5333.
There are thousands of places to get a cup of coffee in the St. Louis area, with dozens of great options in most neighborhoods. So, it was no small feat to narrow our list to the 10 best coffee purveyors in the metro area. We limited the results to establishments where coffee is a focus of the business—they might sell pastries, or sandwiches, but people also go there just for the coffee. We then imposed our “minimum of 50 customer reviews” standard. Still, there were a lot of terrific options. With so many quality offerings, a lot of great places don’t make the top 10. So, we wanted to highlight few unique coffee stops that are also worthy of attention. We give Honorable Mentions to:
Lanai Coffee in Francis Park (4.59 stars/27 reviews) Saint Louis Hills, 5300 Donovan Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (808) 446-9200. An outdoor coffee shop in the heart of a south city park. This charming stone cottage offers specialty coffee drinks (hot and cold), snacks, a cute patio, and even sports equipment. This weekends only (Friday, Saturday & Sunday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) coffee shop also offers free movie nights and live music events on their lawn.
Gelateria Del Leone (4.79 stars/235 reviews) Tower Grove South, 3197 South Grand Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 776-3500. An Italian-inspired cafe serving house-made gelato, espresso drinks, and baked goods in warm, coffeehouse surroundings. This is a community gathering place that also offers top tier food and drinks.
Sucrose Bakery (4.72 stars/46 reviews) St Charles, 700 South Fifth Street, Saint Charles, MO 63301, (314) 288-9176. A hip, European-style pastry shop and cafe offering artisan espresso drinks, unique pastries, and custom cakes in chill surroundings. The focus here is offering elevated fare using sustainable, locally sourced ingredients. Even the coffee is from Blueprint and Coma.
Gelato Di Riso (4.61 stars/148 reviews) The Hill, 5204 Wilson Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 664-8488. Charming gelateria offering fresh coffee, authentic gelato, and cafe fare in the heart of The Hill. The Affogato (fresh gelato “drowned” with a shot of espresso) is one of the best marriages of coffee and creamy goodness in St. Louis.