The Top 10 Wing Joints in St. Louis
St. Louis, MO/December 17, 2016 (STLRestaurant.News) – Whether they’re grilled or fried, breaded or sauced, chicken wings are a delicacy of many flavors. But no matter how you make them, they may be the ultimate bar food.
The Song family opened O! Wing Plus in Overland about six-years ago. The goal was to create a restaurant that delivered exceptional food at a reasonable cost. The Songs did that by fusing this classic bar fare with the exotic flavors of Korea, Southeast Asia and beyond, creating the most delicious wings you will find in St. Louis—at least according to customers. They say you’ll leave O!WP satisfied and smiling as you lick your sticky fingers.
O!WP offers classic Buffalo style wings, but they don’t stop there. They offer nine sauces that run from mild and sweet teriyaki to the super spicy “Beast Mode.” Customers rave about the Parmesan Garlic and the Thai Chili Lime, but the favorite is the house sauce, “O’s Original.” It’s a gentle heat of red chilies and brown sugar that are caramelized over the wings, creating a zesty sweet sauce. It’s warm, but less spice than the classic Buffalo.
As if excellent chicken wings weren’t enough O!WP also does a fantastic Korean BBQ (beef) Bulgoki. Get it as a salad, wrap, “Sammich,” or taco. They also offer a whole host of other “snackers” like egg rolls, toasted ravs, fried okra, sweet potato fries, and beer-battered onion rings. But they don’t serve beer.
O! Wing Plus is open Monday – Thursday from 11:00 a.m to 9:00 p.m. and Friday – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Closed on Sunday. This is a fast casual restaurant, with quick service. They also do take out, so it’s a terrific place to stop on your way to a party or gathering. For really large orders, you should call ahead. They do catering too.
With lots of choices for great wings around town, customers say these are the ten places doing them best in St. Louis area:
1. O! Wing Plus (4.6 stars/61 reviews) Overland, 10094 Page Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63132, (314) 395-0180.
2. Bogart’s Smokehouse (4.5 stars/1082 reviews) Soulard, 1627 South 9th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 621-3107.
3. The Shaved Duck (4.5 stars/1019 reviews) Tower Grove East, 2900 Virginia Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 776-1407.
4. Broadway Oyster Bar (4.5 stars/869 reviews) Downtown, 736 South Broadway, Saint Louis, MO 63102, (314) 621-8811.
5. Southern (4.5 stars/246 reviews) Midtown, 3108 Olive Street, Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 531-4668.
6. Corner Bistro (4.5 stars/193 reviews) Princeton Heights, 4993 Loughborough Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 353-1811.
7. Gobble STOP Smokehouse (4.5 stars/193 reviews) Creve Coeur, 1227 Castillon Arcade Plz, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, (314) 878-5586.
8. Urban Chestnut Brewing Co (4.5 stars/183 reviews) Covenant Blu/Grand Center, 3229 Washington Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 222-0143.
9. Vernon’s Bbq & Catering (4.5 stars/178 reviews) University City, 6707 Vernon Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63130, (314) 726-1227.
10. Goody Goody Diner (4.5 stars/120 reviews) Wells/Goodfellow, 5900 Natural Bridge Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63120, (314) 383-3333.
Wings might be the ultimate bar food and St. Louis is a great “bar and grill” town, so there are hundreds of choices for great wings. The competition for the top 10 list is fierce, but I would be remiss if I didn’t give honorable mentions to a few of our staff favorites. So Honorable mentions go to:
Krieger’s Hometown Sports Bar in West County, 1356 Big Bend Road, Ballwin, MO 63021, (636) 861-1618.
They offer classic Buffalo wings and boneless wings. But the star is the Florida Style Wings. They are their crispy buffalo wings tossed in your favorite sauce, then grilled and re-tossed in sauce. And the sauce choices are fantastic, with something for every taste. There’s Caribbean Jerk, Krieger’s Classic 3 Alarm or 5 Alarm, Honey BBQ, Golden Honey, old fashioned BBQ, Teriyaki, Garlic Parm, Spicy Mustard, Honey Mustard, and Sweet & Spicy.
Milo’s Tavern & Bocce Garden on The Hill, 5201 Wilson Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 776-0468.
This is a neighborhood joint serving beer and bar food with an Italian twist. Walk through the door and it feels like you walked into a “Cheers” bar. Even if they don’t know your name, they’re always glad you came. And do yourself a favor, come in to watch the Blues game Monday – Thursday, and they’re half-price! Get them fried or grilled. When the weather’s a little nicer, Milo’s also has a great patio with bocce ball!
Fast Eddie’s Bon Air in Alton, 1530 East 4th Street, Alton, IL 62002, (618) 462-5532.
The Hot Chick-on-a-Stick is a unique way to serve wings, but it’s the only way you’ll get them at this iconic bar and grill. These aren’t Buffalo wings, but they are fresh, tasty, and hot—straight off the grill! Cheap too! Get the Cajun-style chicken wings skewered kebab-style for $3.99 and wash them down with what may well be the coldest beer in town.
Picture courtesy of BuffaloHotWings.com
Copyright 2016 St. Louis Media, LLC d.b.a. STLRestaurant.News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.