St. Louis’ Favorite Vietnamese Restaurants
St. Louis, MO/September 3, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) – Pungent, fresh, and satisfying, Vietnamese cuisine is a balance of aromatics, sweet, sour, bitter, spicy heat and, for lack of a better term, fish-sauciness. As with other Asian cuisines, perfection is in the balance of salty and sweet, the fresh with the fermented ingredients, and that spiciness with cooling elements. The geography of Vietnam creates a breadth of culinary influences that span from the Chinese-like stir fries and noodle dishes in the north, to the rice and coconut candy of the south. Throughout it all, diners will find fish, fish sauce, and meaty broth bringing the flavors all together.
Many dishes make up Vietnamese cuisine, but Pho (pronounced “fuh”) may be the quintessential dish. Pho is a staple made of broth, rice noodles, herbs, and meats. The type of pho is determined by the meat used. Pho tai, for instance is made with sliced steak; pho bo vien has beef meatballs; and pho ga is made with chicken. Thanks to the influence of the French, Vietnamese cuisine also includes bánh mì sandwiches. These are made using delicious baguettes similar to crusty French bread. They’re layered with pickled vegetables—crunchy matchsticks of carrots, cucumbers, and daikon radishes—fresh cilantro, mint, maybe some jalapeño, plus slow roasted pork and usually pork pâté, then dressed with mayonnaise and sriracha. Yum.
So where does one go in St. Louis for authentic Vietnamese fare? We checked the customer reviews and found a nice assortment of terrific Vietnamese restaurants across the metro area. The best in the City of St. Louis is the perennial favorite Pho Grand. That’s the South Grand restaurant where the Trinh family has been serving authentic, approachable Vietnamese fare for more than 20 years.
As the population of St. Louis has spread out, so has the availability and demand for authentic Asian cuisine, including Vietnamese food. So, it shouldn’t be a surprise that St. Louis diners’ favorite Vietnamese restaurant is a comparatively new place in O’Fallon, Missouri. Open since 2010, the Asian Cafe Bar & Grill offers authentic Vietnamese and Chinese food, spiced to order. Their menu goes way beyond pho and bánh mì, although they offer a variety of delicious takes on both. They also have a full bar, which gives them an edge over most of the other restaurants on the list. A meal at the Asian Cafe Bar & Grill is like an exotic sensory vacation, and you’ll be glad you made the trip.
All the top 10 Vietnamese restaurants in St. Louis offer a feast for the senses. Since they’re spread out across the metro area, there’s sure to be some great Vietnamese food near you:
1. Asian Cafe Bar & Grill (4.31 stars/122 reviews) O’Fallon, 1260 Bryan Rd (Hillman Farm Plaza), O’Fallon, MO 63366, (636) 272-4429.
2. Monsoon Vietnamese Bistro (4.26 stars/182 reviews) Manchester, 14248 Manchester Road, Ballwin, MO 63011, (636) 256-8838.
3. Pho Grand Restaurant (4.25 stars/672 reviews) Tower Grove South, 3195 South Grand Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 664-7435.
4. Banh Mi So (4.21 stars/211 reviews) Dutchtown, 4071 South Grand Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 353-0545.
5. Truc Lam (4.20 stars/129 reviews) Tower Grove South, 3737 Gravois Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63116, (314) 776-1299.
6. VietNam Style (4.18 stars/40 reviews) The Loop, 6100 Delmar Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63112, (314) 405-8438.
7. Kim Ngan (4.17 stars/64 reviews) Dutchtown, 3863 Grand Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 664-4041.
8. Dao Tien (4.05 stars/164 reviews) University City, 8600 Olive Blvd, University City, MO 63132, (314) 995-6960.
9. Saigon (4.01 stars/74 reviews) Metro-east, 1636 Lebanon Ave, Belleville, IL 62221, (618) 233-3388.
10. Mai Lee (3.94 stars/855 reviews) Brentwood, 8396 Musick Memorial Drive, Saint Louis, MO 63144, (314) 645-2835.
As usually happens when researching for a top 10 list, we came across a couple of great restaurants that haven’t had enough reviews to make the list (minimum 50), but they make some truly noteworthy food. So, to these delicious upstarts, we offer Honorable Mentions:
Midland Wok (4.27 stars/44 reviews) Maryland Heights, 11082 Midland Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63114, (314) 428-4393. This Pan-Asian joint is known for its tender, freshly made dumplings and for offering a variety of Asian cuisines, among them some great Vietnamese dishes. They do seriously good Pho, with several variations including pho duoi (made with delectably tender oxtail).
Kim Vu (3.94 stars/25 reviews) Valley Park, 204 Meramec Valley Plaza, Valley Park, MO 63088, (636) 825-9424. This suburban eatery offers a menu of spiced-to-order Chinese & Vietnamese fare. They’re also known for their fast, friendly service, and they deliver!