Best Bets for Your Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
St. Louis, MO/April 30, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) – Cinco de Mayo is fast approaching! The annual May 5th observation may have started as a commemoration of the Mexican Army’s unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla, but in the U.S., it’s grown into a celebration of Mexican culture. Cinco de Mayo has us heading to our favorite cantina to celebrate. It’s with this in mind that we scoured the customer reviews to find the very best of the hundreds of Mexican restaurants in the St. Louis area.
We cast our net wide, to make sure readers all over the St. Louis area could find the best Mexican restaurants in the metro area. What we found is that there’s a lot of great Mexican food in every corner of St. Louis. From St. Peters to Waterloo, and Benton Park to Edwardsville, there’s a fiesta in everyone’s back yard!
Topping the list is Rosy’s Cakes & Paco’s Tacos in St. Peters. This tiny storefront opened in 2016 and quickly became a local favorite. Rosy’s & Paco’s isn’t fancy, just a small restaurant in an unadorned strip mall, but don’t let that deter you. They’re making fresh, authentic Mexican food, Tres Leches cake and specialty desserts that are second to none. Tacos are a specialty at Rosy’s & Paco’s. They do tacos seven different ways—with chicken, steak, pork, chorizo, and other delicious fillings. Customers also rave about their burritos, quesadillas, nachos, sopas and flautas. A trip to Rosy’s and Paco’s wouldn’t be complete without a sample of Rosy’s amazing Mexican sweets. From Tres Leches cake and Mexican flan, to cupcakes and cookies, everything is authentic, fresh, and delicioso! There’s not a lot of seating at Rosy’s & Paco’s, but that’s okay. You can get your fiesta to go.
Our list of the Top 10 Mexican Restaurants in St. Louis includes a wide variety of restaurants ranging from quick service cafes specializing in Mexican street food to full service restaurants as well loved for their margaritas as they are for their carnitas. Diners are sure to find a great place to celebrate Cinco de Mayo their way on this top 10 list.
- Rosy’s Cakes & Paco’s Tacos (4.76 stars/75 reviews) St. Peters, 6240 Mexico Road, Saint Peters, MO 63376, (636) 244-4599.
- Casa Romero (4.71 stars/52 reviews) Waterloo, 512 South Market Street, Waterloo, IL 62298, (618) 939-6440
- Casa Maria Mexican Grill (4.43 stars/79 reviews) Belleville, 100 North High St, Belleville, IL 62220, (618) 416-1337.
- La Gardenia Mexican Restaurant & Cantina (4.40 stars/73 reviews) Collinsville, 8406 Collinsville Road, Collinsville, IL 62234, (618) 344-9763.
- El Tio Pepe (4.38 stars/79 reviews) O’Fallon, 315 West Terra Lane, O Fallon, MO 63366, (636) 978-9766
- Kalbi Taco Shack (4.36 stars/50 reviews) Benton Park, 2301 Cherokee Street, St Louis, MO 63118, (314) 240-5544.
- La Tejana Taqueria (4.34 stars/117 reviews) Bridgeton, 3157 N Lindbergh Blvd, Bridgeton, MO 63043, (314) 291-8500.
- Catrina’s (4.28 stars/65 reviews) Edwardsville, 1027 Century Drive, Edwardsville, IL 62025, (618) 692-5522.
- El Burro Loco Mexican Restaurant (4.23 stars/217 reviews) Central West End, 313 N Euclid Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 224-5371.
- Mission Taco Joint (4.20 stars/377 reviews) Soulard, 908 Lafayette Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 858-8226.
We use customer reviews to find St. Louis’ favorite restaurants for our top 10 lists. In order to make the list, a restaurant must have great ratings, and a lot of them (at least 50). That way we, and our readers, can be sure the restaurants on the list are consistently great. Because of these strict criteria, there are always a couple of really terrific restaurants that don’t quite make the top 10. So, we offer honorable mentions to these highly rated restaurants that are worth checking out.
Honorable Mentions to:
Chaparritos Mexican Restaurant (4.63 stars/48 reviews) Gravois Park, 2812 Cherokee Street, Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 240-5990.
Terra Sur Mexican Cuisine (4.64 stars/36 reviews) Troy, IL, 920 Edwardsville Road, Troy, IL 62294, (618) 667-1022.
King Burrito Mexican Cafe (4.47 stars/30 reviews) Maryland Heights, 11084 Midland Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63114, (314) 427-5580.