These Places Are Mixing Cuisines and Cultures – Top 10 Fusion Restaurants in St. Louis
St. Louis, MO/January 4, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) – There are a couple of different ways to define “fusion restaurants.” At their heart, they combine elements of different culinary traditions. There are those that combine the culinary styles of different regions within a cuisine—like many Asian fusion restaurants do. There are also those who cross continents, fusing the ingredients of one culture with the cooking methods of another (think taco pizza). Both kinds of fusion have become increasingly popular in the United States, and both have influenced the direction and innovations of many contemporary restaurant cuisines.
We originally brought you our list of the Top 10 Fusion Restaurants in St. Louis back in August 2016, but the restaurant industry is a dynamic and shifting one. Some openings and closings have affected the list, as have the changing palates of St. Louis diners. So it’s time once again the check with St. Louis diners and find out which are your favorite fusion restaurants in the St. Louis area. Here is the list of St. Louis’ Top 10 Fusion restaurants as we head into 2017:
1. Kounter Kulture (5.0 stars/30 reviews) featuring Asian Fusion at Lindenwood Park, 3825 Watson Road, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 781-4344.
2. Lona’s Lil Eats (4.5 stars/286 reviews) featuring Asian Fusion, Vegetarian, and Chinese in Fox Park, 2199 California Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 899-5582.
3. Kim Cheese (4.5 stars/247 reviews) featuring Asian Fusion, Fast Food, Mexican in Chesterfield, 13435 Olive Blvd, Chesterfield, MO 63017, (314) 485-1408.
4. Spare No Rib (4.5 stars/192 reviews) featuring Barbecue and Tacos/Mexican in Gravois Park, 3701 South Jefferson Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 354-8444.
5. Medina Mediterranean Grill (4.5 star/113 reviews) featuring Mediterranean and Halal downtown, 1327 Washington Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 241-1356.
6. Smiling Buddha (4.5 stars/55 reviews) featuring Asian Fusion in South County, 5544 Telegraph Road, Saint Louis, MO 63129, (314) 845-8233.
7. Kalbi Taco Shack (4.5 stars/37 reviews) featuring Korean, Mexican, and Asian Fusion in Benton Park, 2301 Cherokee Street, Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 240-5544.
8. Wicked Greenz (4.5 stars/31 reviews) featuring Tex-Mex, Vegetarian, and Asian Fusion in Clayton, 16 North Central Ave, Clayton, MO 63105, (314) 727-2772.
9. Hibachi Boy (4.5 stars/25 reviews) featuring Sushi, Asian Fusion, and Japanese in St. Charles County, 6155 Mid Rivers Mall Drive, Saint Peters, MO 63304, (636) 244-5105.
10. Mango (4.0 stars/638 reviews) featuring Latin American and Peruvian downtown, 1001 Washington Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63101, (314) 621-9993.
So often when we discuss “fusion cuisine” we focus on restaurants that fuse the dishes of differing Asian cultures or those that fuse Asian cuisines with the culinary traditions of other continents, like Korean tacos. But fusion doesn’t have to include any Asian influence. It’s with that in mind that we give honorable mention to Boogaloo at 7344 Manchester Road in downtown Maplewood. This lively bar and grill fuses the best of Cuban, Creole, and Caribbean cuisine, then serves it up as both tapas and large plates. Boogaloo’s special blend of cuisines and cultures has been recognized as exceptional from the start. Whether it’s the Cuban Caesar salad with its chipotle spiced dressing and manchego cheese, or the jerk chicken tacos, they’re mixing it up right. It isn’t just Boogaloo’s food that’s vibrant, fun, and eclectic. The restaurant and bar is covered in bold colors, murals, and alligator skin wallpaper. They even have swings at the bar—fusing the playground of your childhood with the playground of your adulthood! What could be more fun than that?
Picture courtesy of Yelp
Copyright 2016 St. Louis Media, LLC d.b.a. STLRestaurant.News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.