Authentic N’Awlins Flavor Customers Love – Top 10 Cajun/Creole Restaurants
ST LOUIS, MO/January 8, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) – St. Louis may be a few hundred miles up the Mississippi River from New Orleans, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get great Cajun and Creole cooking right here. We’ve asked St. Louis diners before where to get the best, most authentic taste of N’awlins in the Gateway City. With the ever changing restaurant scene in St. Louis, and since we were looking for a good cup of gumbo to warm up in this frigid weather, we thought it was time to check the customer reviews once again.
We set a few limitations, as we usually do, only including local, independently owned restaurants: no out-of-town chains. In order to make the top 10, the restaurant had to have received at least 50 reviews. The resulting list contains many of the same names as past “Top 10 Cajun/Creole” lists. But there are few new ones too!
For instance, Broadway Oyster Bar has been the top rated destination for authentic Cajun and Creole cuisine since our first Top 10 list in this category. But then they’ve been local favorites for almost as long as they’ve been serving up fresh Gulf shrimp and po’boys. But then “BOB” owners John and Victoria Johnson have spent the last 35-years bringing great food and music to guests at their downtown St. Louis restaurant. They also recently topped our list of the best seafood restaurants in St. Louis. Their menu includes all the New Orleans favorites from Shrimp & Grits and Lobster Po’ Boys to oysters, which they do ten different and delicious ways! And don’t forget their legendary Alligator Sausage & Shrimp Cheesecake app. There’s nothing else quite like it anywhere.
But there are some newcomers to our Top 10 list this time too. Taytro’s Bar & Bistro in Festus was the only restaurant on our list to match BOB’s 4.5 star rating. This family-owned restaurant has all the crawfish, shrimp, jambalaya, gumbo, po’boys, and red beans & rice you could want. They also make a killer brown sugar and garlic glazed pork chop, and down home good bread pudding! Besides cold beer on tap, they also have a pretty terrific wine list. They serve up live music on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, and they’ve cooked up some special magic for their annual Mardi Gras party February 25th. Diners in the Festus–Crystal City area have grown to love Taytro’s.
Here are the top 10 Cajun/Creole restaurants in St. Louis, according to customer ratings and reviews:
1. Broadway Oyster Bar (4.5 stars/870 reviews) Downtown, 736 South Broadway, Saint Louis, MO 63102 – Phone: (314) 621-8811.
2. Taytro’s Bar & Bistro (4.5 stars/99 reviews) Jefferson County, 343 North Creek Drive, Festus, MO 63028 – Phone: (636) 931-1880.
3. Ragin Cajun Piano Bar (4.3 stars/60 reviews) Alton, 210 West 3rd Street, Alton, IL 62002 – Phone: (618) 433-9119.
4. BB’s Jazz Blues & Soups (4.2 stars/215 reviews) Downtown, 700 South Broadway, Saint Louis, MO 63102 – Phone: (314) 436-5222.
5. Evangeline’s Bistro and Music House (4.1 stars/210 reviews) Central West End, 512 North Euclid Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63108 – Phone: (314) 367-3644.
6. Gulf Shores Restaurant and Grill (4.0 stars/474 reviews) Creve Coeur, 12528-A Olive Blvd, Creve Coeur, MO 63141 – Phone: (314) 878-3306.
7. Riverbend Restaurant & Bar (4.0 stars/96 reviews) Richmond Heights, 1059 South Big Bend Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63117 – Phone: (314) 664-8443.
8. Molly’s in Soulard (3.8 stars/271 reviews) Soulard, 816 Geyer Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63104 – Phone: (314) 241-6200.
9. Hwy 61 Roadhouse & Kitchen (3.7 stars/377 reviews) Webster Groves, 34 South Old Orchard Ave, Webster Groves, MO 63119 – Phone: (314) 968-0061.
10. Boogaloo (3.6 stars/335 reviews) Maplewood, 7344 Manchester Road, Maplewood, MO 63143 – Phone: (314) 645-4803.
Since we limited the top ten to restaurants with 50 reviews or more, a couple of highly rated restaurants didn’t quite make the list. Both of these metro-east eateries feature authentic New Orleans style food, great service and great venues. The both have 4-star ratings or better, just not quite enough reviews to make our list. Our Honorable Mentions go to:
Grafton Oyster Bar (4.1 stars/34 reviews) Grafton, 215 West Water Street, Grafton, IL 62037 – Phone: (618) 786-3000.
Railshake Brewery (4.0 stars/48 reviews) Madison County, 504 Walnut Street, Highland, IL 62249 – Phone: (618) 651-4900.
Picture courtesy of St. Louis Restaurant Review
Copyright 2016 St. Louis Media, LLC d.b.a. STLRestaurant.News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.