The Cleveland-Heath Burger Takes Top Honors – The Top 10 Best Burgers in St. Louis
St. Louis, MO: (STLRestaurant.News) – It may be the ultimate comfort food. It’s certainly a symbol of American cuisine. It can be beef, or turkey, or even made of vegetables. It can be served atop a salad, or smothered in cheese and chili. No matter if you grill them, fry them, or broil them, America loves hamburgers! We eat nearly 50-Billion burgers a year (that’s about three a week—each).
The American hamburger was inspired by the Hamburg steak, a chopped beef patty similar to a Salisbury steak, which was introduced in the US by German immigrants. During World War I, in order to avoid the German connection, the US government and soldiers actually referred hamburgers as “liberty sandwiches.” Those should taste great with a side of “freedom fries.”
No matter what you call it, the hamburger is an American classic and a restaurant staple. Whether you’re looking for lowbrow dining, fast food, pub food, or a refined restaurant experience, you’ll find burgers, in many different forms on the menus across town. So where do you go when you want a really great burger. We turned to customer reviews to find the best burgers in St. Louis are actually in the metro-east.
If you haven’t tried Cleveland-Heath in Edwardsville, then you really are missing something. The restaurant opened in 2011 by Chefs Jennifer Cleveland and Eric Heath focuses on fun food and great drinks. Located in the historical Boehm Building at 106 North Main Street, Cleveland-Heath is comfortable, with a warm and hospitable vibe.
Their gourmet takes on classic American foods are simply brilliant. And why not? This is a restaurant with some serious chef know-how. Heath was even named as a James Beard Foundation semi-finalist for Best Chef “Great Lakes” Region two years in a row (2015 & 2016). Customers rave about their Japanese Pancakes with shrimp, bacon, cabbage, Kewpie mayo, and BBQ sauce; and the Kale Salad with garlic, crushed red pepper, parmesan chips, and lemon vinaigrette.
But you came for the burgers. The Cleveland-Heath burger delivers all the juicy, cheesy, savory goodness you could ask from ground meat on bread. Theirs is made with a half pound of grass-fed beef (from Rensing’s Farm in New Douglas, IL), extra sharp cheddar cheese, house made ketchup and pickles, mayo, on a perfectly toasty potato bun. Get it with the French Fries (crispy russet & sweet potato fries with Utah fry sauce) or try a side of their crave-worthy Brussels sprouts (dressed with lemon vinaigrette, capers, and shallot). Either way, come hungry, because their portions are enormous. Enjoy your burger with their classic Root Beer Float, one of the many craft beers on tap, or an expertly mixed cocktail.
Cleveland-Heath is closed on Sunday and on Thanksgiving Day. But the restaurant is open Monday – Thursday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Fridays 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. And now they’re doing brunch on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The hardest part of finding a great burger in St. Louis might be deciding which great burger to go for. There are so many choices, we could literally write a book on the subject! Chapter One: The top 10 burger stops according to customer reviews:
1. Cleveland-Heath in Edwardsville (4.5 stars/268 reviews) 106 North Main Street, Edwardsville, IL 62025, (618) 307-4830.
2. Retreat Gastropub in the Central West End (4.5 stars/206 reviews) 2 North Sarah Street, Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 261-4497.
3. Manchester Public House in the Franz Park neighborhood (4.5 stars/62 reviews) 6655 Manchester Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63139, (314) 899-9111.
4. Prasino in St. Charles (4.0 stars/396 reviews) 1520 S 5th Street, St. Charles, MO 63303, (636) 277-0202.
5. Three Kings Public House in the U City Loop (4.0 stars/322 reviews) 6307 Delmar Blvd., Saint Louis, MO 63130, (314) 721-3355.
6. Stacked STL in the Patch neighborhood (4.0 stars/280 reviews) 7637 Ivory Street, Saint Louis, MO 63111, (314) 544-4900.
7. Fast Eddie’s Bon Air in Alton (4.0 stars/240 reviews) 1530 E 4th Street, Alton, IL 62002, (618) 462-5532.
8. Seamus McDaniel’s in Dogtown (4.0 stars/232 reviews) 1208 Tamm Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63139, (314) 645-6337.
9. Baileys’ Range in downtown STL (4.0 stars/948 reviews) 920 Olive Street, Saint Louis, MO 63101, (314) 241-8121.
10. Schlafly Bottleworks in Maplewood (4.0 stars/448 reviews) 7260 Southwest Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63143, (314) 241-2337.
Since there’s nothing so universally expected on a bar and grill menu as the burger, there are just too many great places to find one around St. Louis. So (as I usually do), I felt the need to add a few more great options to the best burger in St. Louis list. Honorable Mentions go to these local favorites as well:
Square One Brewery & Distillery in Lafayette Square (4.0 stars/428 reviews) 1727 Park Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 231-2537.
The Royale in Tower Grove South (4.0 stars/309 reviews) 3132 S Kingshighway Blvd., Saint Louis, MO 63139, (314) 772-3600.
O’Connell’s Pub in the Southwest Garden District (4.0 stars/152 reviews) 4652 Shaw Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 773-6600.