The Top 10 Spots for Pint with Friends – Best Irish Pubs in Saint Louis
ST LOUIS, MO/January 18, 2016 (STL Restaurant.News) Best Irish Pubs in Saint Louis – An Irish pub is a special place. It’s part bar, part restaurant, part gathering place. The really good ones have a mix of old world ambiance, great pub, comfort food, and of course, Guinness. They’re the kind of places you drop into a couple of times a week for a meal, or a pint with friends—the kind of place where you can have a conversations without shouting. There might be some traditional Irish music to get your foot tapping, but not the cacophony of blaring electronic noise that permeates so many establishments. And there may be a television over the bar tuned to the local rugby match or “football” game, but not the banks of flat screens found at your local sports bar.
With the much publicized closing of the Dandy Inn in Fairview Heights, an Irish pub that was a local favorite, we wondered where else folks could go for a pint or shot of Jameson with friends. We check our customer reviews and found that there are a lot of good Irish pubs in St. Louis. What we found was that nearly every corner of the metro area has good Irish pub, but for the best head north.
Topping our list was Morrison’s Irish Pub at 200 State Street in Alton. This family-owned bar and restaurant has been serving authentic Irish spirits and a unique menu of Irish-American Cuisine in a classic pub setting since opening in July 2015. The brick and wood décor, historic building, and neighborhood surrounding their pub only add to the ambiance. The 12 taps at Morrison’s offer a nice selection of local and imported beers, ales, and stouts. You’ll find the locally produced Morrison’s Irish Red Ale from Templar Brewing in Alton, Old Bakery Beer Company’s Citrus Wheat Beer, and the Moody Cow milk stout from Peoria Brewery, among the domestics. The import taps include Murphy’s Irish Stout, Harp Irish Lager, Magner’s Irish Cider, and of course, Guinness. There’s also a good selection of bottled craft beers, authentic Irish whiskeys, and a creative cocktail menu. All of the spirits at Morrison’s are mid-grade and high-end liquors; no rail drinks.
The menu at Morrison’s is a simple and rich collection of traditional Irish dishes like Irish stew, Bubble & Squeak, Boxty, Bangers and Mash, and Colcannon. You will find burgers on the menu, both beef and lamb, but you won’t find wings or toasted ravioli. Morrison’s uses authentic ingredients like Kerrygold Irish butter, imported bangers (sausages), Irish bacon, and Guinness crisps (chips). Morrison’s also patronizes local Alton businesses like LuciAnna’s Pastries (which makes their authentic soda bread) and Duke’s Bakery.
Weekends at Morrison’s brings authentic Irish music, including Thursday night’s Sea Shanties sing-along. The authentic food and drink combine with the classic public house feel at Morrison’s, making it easy to see why this relatively new establishment topped our list of the best Irish pubs in the St. Louis area. If you can’t get to Alton, but still crave that authentic Irish pub experience, then check out the rest of our Top 10 list to find the best pubs near you:
1. Morrison’s Irish Pub (4.5 stars/56 reviews) Alton, 200 State Street, Alton, IL 62002, (618) 433-8900.
2. John D. McGurk’s Irish Pub (4.2 stars/546 reviews), Soulard, 1200 Russell Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 776-8309.
3. Dressel’s Public House (4.2 stars/459 reviews), Central West End, 419 North Euclid Ave, Saint Louis, MO
4. Seamus McDaniel’s (4.2 stars/342 reviews) Dogtown, 1208 Tamm Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63139, (314) 645-6337.
5. O’Dell’s Irish Pub & Ale House (4.1 stars/128 reviews) Eureka, 141 South Central Ave, Eureka, MO 63025, (636) 587-2552.
6. Tigin Irish Pub & Restaurant (4.0 stars/535 reviews) Downtown, 333 Washington Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63102, (314) 241-8666.
7. The Pat Connolly Tavern (4.0 stars/90 reviews) Dogtown, 6400 Oakland Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63139, (314) 647-7287.
8. Molly Darcy’s (4.0 stars/60 reviews) Clayton, 26 North Meramec Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63105, (314) 863-8400.
9. Riley’s Pub (4.0 stars/52 reviews) Tower Grove East, 3458 Arsenal Street, Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 664-7474.
10. O’Shay’s Pub (3.9 stars/74 reviews) Forest Park Southeast, 4353 Manchester Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 932-5232.
St. Louis has a wealth of Irish pubs and restaurants. This is a city that turns green on March 17th every year. Some of St. Louis’ longtime favorite Irish pubs didn’t quite make the top 10, but they’ve been local favorites for decades—exactly the quality that makes an Irish pub great. So Honorable Mentions go to these traditional Irish haunts:
Maggie O’Brien’s, Downtown, 2000 Market Street, Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 421-1388.
O’Connell’s Pub, The Garden District, 4652 Shaw Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 773-6600
Nick’s Pub, Dogtown, 6001 Manchester Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 781-7806.
All ratings are based on customer reviews across multiple platforms. In order to make the Top 10, restaurants had to have received at least 50 reviews.
Picture courtesy of 10Best.com
Copyright 2016 St. Louis Media, LLC d.b.a. STLRestaurant.News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.