Broadway Oyster Bar Takes Top Spot on Top 10 Best Seafood Restaurants in St. Louis
St. Louis, MO/December 9, 2016 (STLRestaurant.News) – Culinary snobs from the US coasts would probably be surprised by the quality and quantity of great seafood restaurants in the St. Louis area. Some of the best options are well established restaurants that specialize in the gifts of the sea. Others are relative newcomers with innovative menus and edgy ambiance. We wanted to know where to get the best seafood this far inland, so we turned to customer reviews. We also narrowed the list by only considering locally owned restaurants with 50 reviews or more. That way, we could find the establishments unique to our community and loved by diners here.
What we found was an eclectic list of restaurants that run the gamut from rustic cafe to fine dining establishment. Some specialize in seafood, while others incorporate seafood into their specialty cuisine. The one thing they have in common is they do what they do very, very well. That means there’s great seafood to be found all across the metro area, but the top honors go to a longtime downtown favorite.
Back in July, they topped our list for best Cajun restaurant in St. Louis. Now Broadway Oyster Bar is again leading the list, this time for best seafood restaurant in town. After 35-years bringing great food and music to St. Louis, it’s not surprising they’re local favorites. Owners John and Victoria Johnson have worked hard to make “BOB,” as it’s affectionately known by regulars, a great choice for a relaxing dinner, a celebratory party, or an opportunity to dance to a great band.
They are the only seafood restaurant to make the top 10 that offers live music nightly. BOB is widely regarded as the premier New Orleans’ style restaurant in the Midwest. They’re also a “go to” venue for live music, featuring both local and nationally known acts. But if the music wasn’t there, the food would still bring customers in.
On their classic Cajun menu, you’ll find plenty of seafood options. There’s everything from Shrimp & Grits, to freshly steamed crab (Alaskan & Dungeness), and Lobster Po’ Boys to mussels steamed in a tomato garlic white wine broth, and of course, oysters. Fresh, grilled, and fried—they do oysters ten different and delicious ways!
One rather unusual dish that customers rave about is the Alligator Sausage & Shrimp Cheesecake on their appetizer menu. It’s a savory combination of shrimp and alligator sausage (from Poche’s in Louisiana), in a blend of cream cheese and warm Gouda, and served with pita bread. There’s nothing else quite like it anywhere.
Broadway Oyster Bar is the 2015 Missouri Restaurant Association Restaurant of the Year, and reviews by customers have put them atop our list of the best seafood restaurants in St. Louis.
Here’s the full list. It’s loaded with terrific options across the metro area.
1. Broadway Oyster Bar (4.5 stars/868 reviews) Downtown, 736 S Broadway, Saint Louis, MO 63102, 314) 621-8811
2. The Tavern Kitchen & Bar (4.5 stars/227 reviews) West County, 2961 Dougherty Ferry Road, Saint Louis, MO 63122, (636) 825-0600
3. 1818 Chophouse (4.5 stars/82 reviews) Edwardsville, 210 S Buchanan Street, Edwardsville, IL 62025, (618) 307-9300
4. Twisted Tree Steakhouse (4.5 stars/43 reviews) Sunset Hills, 10701 Watson Road, Saint Louis, MO 63127, (314) 394-3366
5. Zia’s on the Hill (4.0 stars/340 reviews) The Hill, 5256 Wilson Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 776-0020
6. Iron Barley Eating Establishment (4.0 stars/334 reviews) Carondelet, 5510 Virginia Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63111, (314) 351-4500
7. Peacemaker Lobster and Crab (4.0 stars/319 reviews) Benton Park, 1831 Sidney Street, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 772-8858
8. Bristol Seafood Grill (4.0 stars/266 reviews) Creve Coeur, 11801 Olive Blvd, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, (314) 567-0272
9. Scape American Bistro (4.0 stars/248 reviews) Central West End, 48 Maryland Plaza, St. Louis, MO 63108, (314) 361-7227
10. Oceano Bistro (4.0 stars/151 reviews) Clayton, 44 N Brentwood Blvd, Clayton, MO 63105, (314) 721-9400
Marko Fish House (5.0 stars/16 reviews) Granite City, 820 Madison Ave., Madison, IL 62060, Phone number (618) 876-9212. This old school eatery was the only seafood restaurant we found that had earned five-stars—but since there were only 16 reviews, they didn’t make the top 10. Still, they’re worth noting. Marko Fish House is a quirky little restaurant built into the front of an old house. It’s been serving crispy, delicious fried cod sandwiches for generations (about 50 years). The batter-fried cod comes on fresh cream bread with onions, pickles and banana peppers. If you want a side, customers recommend the potato salad or the onion rings. Marko Fish House isn’t offering fine dining, just a great fish sandwich.
Picture courtesy of Broadway Oyster Bar