The Top 10 Steakhouses in St. Louis
St. Louis, MO/ (STLRestaurant.News) – With thousands of restaurants in the St. Louis area to choose from, there really is something for everyone. Whether you want sushi, pasta, or seafood, you’ll find some excellent choices in St. Louis. But for some diners nothing beats a great steakhouse. Prime cuts, scratch-made sides, locally sourced ingredients, top shelf service: there’s just nothing quite like a great steakhouse. The best offer amazing steaks on a diverse menu of dishes made with the highest quality ingredients. You should find multiple choices of sumptuous beef, including the best prime cuts, because a fundamental quality of a really good steakhouse is a superior steak. But they should cater to a wide range of tastes, and often offer really great seafood too.
That’s certainly true for the top ten steakhouses in the St. Louis area. Each offers a terrific menu of steak, seafood, pasta, salads, and sides. Topping the list is a St. Louis classic, Annie Gunn’s Restaurant in Chesterfield. The restaurant inside the unpretentious looking Smokehouse Market has been a long-time local favorite. Annie Gunn’s Executive Chef Lou Rook, III relies on a network of local family farmers for the freshest ingredients around. He uses seasonal produce, handcrafted artisanal and farmstead cheese, olive oils, and other products to create irresistible, sophisticated cuisine. The menu includes the great steaks, of course, like the Angus reserve aged filet mignon; USDA Prime aged New York strips and ribeyes; and a 34-ounce American Style Kobe Tomahawk Chop with a marble grade of 9—yum!
Annie Gunn’s is also known for their award-winning wine list. There are more than 700 labels to choose from. Annie Gunn’s is a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence winner—one of just five Missouri restaurants to receive such recognition. Their wine cellar includes selections from all of the major wine-producing regions, including the most important producers of France, Italy and America. Their well trained staff can help diners select an excellent wine to accompany their meal.
Annie Gunn’s offers a great steakhouse experience in a laid back, pub-like dining room. It’s a family friendly environment too, even offering a nice kids’ menu. This place has the elements that make for a classic steakhouse experience: terrific service, comfortable atmosphere, outstanding service, and of course, amazing food. St. Louis diners give Annie Gunn’s the #1 spot on our Steakhouse Top 10.
Here is the complete list of St. Louis Top 10 Steakhouses, according to customer reviews:
1. Annie Gunn’s Restaurant (4.49 stars/667 reviews) Chesterfield Valley, 16806 Chesterfield Airport Road, Chesterfield, MO 63005, (636) 532-7684
2. J. Gilbert’s Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood (4.43 stars/261 reviews) West County Mall, 17A W County Center, Ste A102 Des Peres, MO 63131, (314) 965-4600.
3. Citizen Kane’s Steak House (4.41 stars/329 reviews) Kirkwood, 133 W Clinton Place, Saint Louis, MO 63122, (314) 965-9005.
4. The Tenderloin Room at the Chase Park Plaza (4.41 stars/192 reviews) Central West End, 232 N Kingshighway Blvd., Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 361-0900.
5. Twisted Tree Steakhouse (4.39 stars/116 reviews) Sunset Hills, 10701 Watson Road, Saint Louis, MO 63127, (314) 394-3366
6. Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar (4.35 stars/262 reviews) Frontenac, 1855 S Lindbergh Blvd., Saint Louis, MO 63131, (314) 567-7610.
7. Kreis Steakhouse & Bar (4.34 stars/331 reviews) Frontenac, 535 S Lindbergh Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63131, (314) 993-0735
8. Andria’s Countryside Restaurant (4.32 stars/106 reviews) Edwardsville, 7415 State Rte 143, Edwardsville, IL 62025, (618) 656-0281.
9. 1818 Chophouse (4.26 stars/210 reviews) Edwardsville, 210 S Buchanan Street, Edwardsville, IL 62025, (618) 307-9300.
10. Carmine’s Steakhouse (4.23 stars/435 reviews) Downtown, 20 S 4th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63102, (314) 241-1631
As generally happens when we try to narrow down a very popular type of cuisine or restaurant to just the ten best, a few notable establishments don’t quite make the cut. And so we include them as honorable mentions. Sometimes they don’t have enough reviews. Sometimes they’re in the outer reaches of the region we call St. Louis. That’s the case with the first of our honorable mentions:
Popeye’s Chop House (4.57 stars/152 reviews) Clinton County, IL, 17910 Saint Rose Road, St. Rose, IL 62230, (618) 526-7369. This terrific steakhouse is about 50 miles east of downtown St. Louis in Clinton County. They’re known for their prime steak cuts, including their 16 ounce New York strips and ribeyes, as well as a healthy 10 ounce filet. They have a sophisticated seafood selection that varies according to the market. It often includes choices like fresh salmon, large sea scallops, Chilean sea bass, plus fried choices like Icelandic cod, catfish fillets, shrimp, and crab cakes. Another really popular item you’ll find at Popeye’s that you won’t find at most Steakhouses in St. Louis: jumbo frog legs, fried up golden, crispy, and delicious. Popeye’s is a little on the casual side, with it’s rustic, hunting lodge decor, complete with large stone fireplace and a black bear just inside the door. Seriously. It’s sitting in the first booth, and it’s a popular photo op.
An Honorable Mention also goes to:
The Brass Rail Steakhouse (4.23 stars/283 reviews) Weldon Spring, 4601 Highway K, O’Fallon, MO 63368, (636) 329-1349. This St. Charles County favorite missed the Top 10 by just a few reviews. This is another rustic venue, but with a pub feel, rather than lodge. BRS is known for its hand crafted food including dry aged, hand-cut USDA Prime sirloin, and USDA Certified Hereford Beef ribeyes, filets, and New York strips. And as if great food, great services, and live entertainment weren’t enough, the Brass Rail also opens up TBR Prime Steak Market on weekends from March to October—meaning you can buy their hand cut steaks to cook at home.