The Top 10 Pizza Restaurants in St. Louis
ST. LOUIS, MO/February 8, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) – Dining trends come and go. One day we’re eating fat free potato chips and wine from a box, the next we’re grabbing gluten free muffins and chai tea. One thing that never seems to go out of style: pizza. It’s America’s favorite food. According to reference.com, we eat an average of 23 pounds of pizza a year, or about 46 slices. That’s about 132 squares of St. Louis style pizza! More than 3 billion pizzas are sold in the U.S. each year, amounting to around $37 billion in revenue. That’s a lot of pizza! We celebrate our beloved slice each February 9th, National Pizza Day! So where can you go to get the best pizza in the St. Louis area? We turned to customer reviews to find your favorites.
Topping our list is Melo’s Pizzeria in St. Louis’ historic Benton Park neighborhood. You could call Melo’s the little pizzeria that could. After just over a year in business, Melo’s authentic wood-fired Neapolitan-style pizza has become St. Louis’ favorite. But then, Melo’s is another project by Blues City Deli owner Vince Valenza, whose sandwich shop was just named to Yelp’s Top 100 Places to Eat List for 2017. (Second year in a row!) Melo’s came about after Valenza bought the building and lot he’d been leasing for the deli (in 2013). The brick garage behind the sandwich shop was fully restored, including installation of a blue-tiled, wood-fired oven from Naples. Vince’s son Joey Valencia applied his baking skills, and in December 2015, Melo’s Pizzeria was born. Melo’s offers classic Neapolitan style pizza made with simple, high-quality ingredients. What’s not to love?
Like the rest of America, St. Louis loves pizza. Our customer review-based top 10 shows we love it in all its various forms: hand tossed, deep dish, Neapolitan, and of course, St. Louis style.
Here are the top 10 pizza restaurants in St. Louis:
1. Melo’s Pizzeria (4.92 stars/50 reviews) Benton Park, 2438 Mcnair Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 833-4489.
2. Corner Bistro (4.5 stars/200 reviews) Princeton Heights, 4993 Loughborough Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 353-1811.
3. Pizzeoli – Wood Fired Neapolitan Pizza (4.5 stars/161 reviews) Soulard, 1928 South 12th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 449-1111.
4. Pizza-A-Go-Go (4.4 stars/100 reviews) Lindenwood Park, 6703 Scanlan Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63139, (314) 781-1234.
5. Mama Toscano’s Ravioli (4.4 stars/60 reviews) The Hill, 2201 Macklind Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 776-2926.
6. Anthonino’s Taverna (4.3 stars/873 reviews) The Hill, 2225 Macklind Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 773-4455.
7. Pastaria (4.2 stars/850 reviews) Clayton, 7734 Forsyth Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63105, (314) 862-6603.
8. PW Pizza (4.2 stars/296 reviews) Downtown, 2017 Chouteau Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 241-7799.
9. Tavolo V (4.2 stars/215 reviews) The Loop, 6118 Delmar Blvd., Saint Louis, MO 63112, (314) 721-4333.
10. Twin Oak Wood Fired Pizza & BBQ (4.1 stars/290 reviews) Brentwood, 1201 Strassner Drive, Brentwood, MO 63144, (314) 644-2772.
In order to make the top 10, restaurants had to have at least 50 reviews. Since we were looking for the really special establishments, they also had to be locally owned, independent operations. Each of these pizzerias offers a unique product in a distinctive setting that makes eating a pizza a special experience.
Since there are always a few great restaurants that don’t quite make our strict Top 10 criteria, but still offer an uncommonly good dining experience, we have a few Honorable Mentions to add.
So shout outs go to:
Flamentco’s the Place in O’Fallon, Illinois has 4.5 stars with just 48 reviews. They’re located at 711 West US Hwy 50, O’Fallon, IL 62269. (618) 726-2275. With just a few more reviews, they could have landed high on the Top 10 list. This one is worth watching.
Both Peel Wood Fired Pizza locations. The Edwardsville pizzeria has 4.5 stars with 236 reviews. It’s at 921 South Arbor Vitae, Edwardsville, IL 62025, (618) 659-8561. The O’Fallon, Illinois location at 104 South Cherry Street has a respectable 4.0 stars with 155 reviews, (618) 726-2244.
All six St. Louis area Dewey’s Pizza locations, which each have 4.5 stars, showing a consistency in product and service that is rarely seen. There are Dewey’s Pizzas in Webster Groves, University City, Ellisville, St. Charles, and Edwardsville, but it’s the Kirkwood store (124 N Kirkwood Road, 314-821-7474) that’s most popular.
Check out any of these fine restaurants to celebrate #NationalPizzaDay February 9, 2017, or any time you want a great pizza.