The Top 10 Spots for a Healthy Plate of Leafy Greens – Best Salads in St. Louis, MO
St. Louis, MO/January 9, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) Best Salads in St. Louis – Some folks only eat salad when they’re on a diet. Some eat one every day. There’s no disputing the nutritional benefits of a healthy plate of leafy greens. Even when you add salty, fatty, tasty embellishments like cheese, bacon, and dressing, a salad just feels good for you. That’s because it is. The vegetables in salads are good sources of fiber. Add brightly colored vegetables to those leafy greens for a pop of antioxidants and vitamins. Add nuts, seeds or beans to get a boost of soluble fiber that helps lower cholesterol and keeps blood sugar balanced. Stick to an olive oil-based dressing and you add omega-3s, even if you have a little cheese on it!
This time of year, many people resolve to take better care of themselves, including eating a healthier diet or losing a little weight. And so we turned to salads in all their crispy, green glory. It’s relatively easy to toss a healthy salad at home, but where do you go for a great salad when you go out? Just because you want to eat more veggies, doesn’t mean you can’t eat out. The majority of restaurants around St. Louis offer salad on the menu. Some are quite good, while others are practically inedible, flavorless clippings of bland lettuce, dried out carrot shavings, and maybe a stale crouton. Yuck.
Eating healthy shouldn’t be torture. And finding a great place to get a terrific salad shouldn’t be a major expedition. Fortunately it’s not. We turned to customer reviews to find the best salads in St. Louis for you. We limited the list of salad specialists to those with at least 20 customer reviews. Turns out there are some pretty good restaurants that make salads so good, they stand on their own!
Topping the list is Sauce on the Side at 7810 Forsyth Blvd. in Clayton. (They also have locations at 411 North 8th Street in downtown St. Louis, and 4261 Manchester in the Grove that are also highly regarded). This place specializes in calzones, but they make terrific salads too. Freshness is key to the quality at Sauce on the Side. The owners believe using ingredients that are as fresh as possible, made in house, and sourced from local suppliers. They make all of their salad dressings, bastes, and dipping sauces in house daily. They offer six creative, fresh, seasonal salads every day. There are options like the Strawberry Fields (spring mix, strawberries, feta, red onion, sage, mint, candied walnuts, dressed in their white balsamic vinaigrette) or the Smokehouse (butter lettuce, corn salsa, pancetta, smoked, cheddar, pear tomatoes, basil, and their own BBQ ranch dressing). With food this fresh, you can’t help but feel good!
Here’s the full list of the top 10 restaurants to turn to when you want a salad that doesn’t feel like you’re missing out:
- Sauce On the Side (4.5 stars/154 reviews) Clayton, 7810 Forsyth Blvd, Clayton, MO 63105 – Phone: (314) 833-5426
- Bella Vino Wine Bar & Tapas (4.5 stars/103 reviews) St. Charles, 325 South Main Street, Saint Charles, MO 63301 – Phone: (636) 724-3434
- The Gyro Company II (4.5 stars/56 reviews) South County, 5496 Baumgartner Road, Saint Louis, MO 63129 – Phone: (314) 499-4939.
- Dixon’s Smoke Company (4.5 stars/23 reviews) Midtown, 3674 Forest Park Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63108 – Phone: (314) 833-4161
- Iron Barley Eating Establishment (4.0 stars/327 reviews) Carondelet, 5510 Virginia Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63111 – Phone: (314) 351-4500.
- Crushed Red (4.0 stars/201 reviews) Clayton, 8007 Maryland Ave, Clayton, MO 63105 – Phone: (314) 725-8007
- Quincy Street Bistro (4.0 stars/183 reviews) Princeton Heights, 6931 Gravois Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63116 – Phone: (314) 353-1588
- YaYa’s Euro Bistro (4.0 stars/160 reviews) Chesterfield, 15601 Olive Blvd, Chesterfield, MO 63017 – Phone: (636) 537-9991
- Sugarfire Smoke House (4.0 stars/152 reviews) Downtown, 605 Washington Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63101 – Phone: (314) 394-1720
- The Wolf (4.0 stars/126 reviews) Ballwin, 15480 Clayton Road, Ballwin, MO 63011 – Phone: (636) 527-7027
A couple of local restaurants beloved for their salads actually had five-star reviews, but not quite enough reviews to put them into the top ten. Still, their customers really seem to love them, so they are worth checking out! Honorable mentions go to:
The Greek Kitchen (5.0 stars/15 reviews) Ellisville, 15939 Manchester Road, Ellisville, MO 63011, (636) 686-7200.
3-S’ Soups Salads Sandwiches Bistro (5.0 stars/5 reviews) Berkeley, 8573 Airport Road, Saint Louis, MO 63134, (314) 524-9202.
Copyright 2016 St. Louis Media, LLC d.b.a. STLRestaurant.News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.