Customer Favorites Span the Metro Area! Awesome chili!
St. Louis, MO: (STLRestaurant.News) – Chili preferences are a very personal thing. Most people have some pretty strong opinions about what should go into their chili and what shouldn’t. In Texas, they don’t even use beans. (Gasp!) Some chili is made with tomatoes, some is not. Some folks even make it with turkey and white kidney beans. The only essential ingredient is chili peppers. But how much chili pepper and what kind to use is also a matter of debate. I can’t think of many other dishes that people feel so passionate about (maybe pizza?). But one think chili lovers do agree on: nothing satisfies quite like a warm cup of chili—whether you eat yours on a hot dog, over a plate of fries, straight up, or with crackers.
So where can you get great chili in the St. Louis area? We turned to customer reviews (who better to ask than chili lovers?) to find out where to get the best bowl in town. The list of local favorites is a mix of casual dining restaurants, delis, cafes and diners.
Topping the list is Blues City Deli at 2438 McNair Ave., in Benton Park. This south city hot spot is well loved for their Po’boys and other lip smacking sandwiches, like the giant Muffuletta! They’re also known for their friendly service, cool atmosphere, and great music. They offer live blues on Thursday evenings and Saturday afternoons. Chili is offered as a side dish and sometimes as the soup of the day. But Blues City customers say the best way to eat it is on the 1904 Worlds Fair Hot Dog. It’s smothered in so much chili, that you’ll need a fork to eat it! However you have it, the chili lives up to the Blues City reputation. It’s really not surprising, when you consider the care and attention Blues City Deli owner Vince Valenza has given to everything on the menu. That, plus his legendary hospitality is why customers still put Blues City atop their list of great places to get some chili in St. Louis.
1. Blues City Deli (5 stars/584 reviews), Benton Park, 2438 McNair Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 773-8225.
2. The Shaved Duck (4.5 stars/1019 reviews), Tower Grove East, 2900 Virginia Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 776-1407.
3. The Fountain On Locust (4.5 stars/550 reviews), Midtown, 3037 Locust Street, Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 535-7800.
4. Southwest Diner (4.5 stars/357 reviews), Ellendale, 6803 Southwest Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63143, (314) 260-7244.
5. Steve’s Hot Dogs On the Hill (4.5 stars/147 reviews), The Hill, 2131 Marconi Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 762-9899.
6. Chili Mac’s Diner (4.5 stars/121 reviews), Downtown, 510 Pine Street, Saint Louis, MO 63101, (314) 421-9040.
7. Goody Goody Diner (4.5 stars/116 reviews), Wells/Goodfellow, 5900 Natural Bridge Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63120, (314) 383-3333.
8. Dogs ‘n Frys (4.5 stars/91 reviews), Florissant, 503 Paul Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63031, (314) 274-2000.
9. Spencer’s Grill (4.5 stars/83 reviews), Kirkwood, 223 S Kirkwood Road, Kirkwood, MO 63122, (314) 821-2601.
10. Eovaldi’s Deli & Catering (4.5 stars/38 reviews), The Hill, 2201 Edwards Street, Saint Louis, MO 63110,(314) 771-5707.
There are some terrific options for chili in St. Louis, whether you want it with breakfast, lunch, or dinner. There are new ways to eat it and new places to eat it too. But there are some classic joints that still know how to satisfy that chili craving. So honorable mentions go to:
Carl’s Drive In (4 stars/173 reviews), Brentwood, 9033 Manchester Road, Brentwood, MO 63144, (314) 961-9652
Dave & Tony’s (4 stars/95 reviews), Creve Coeur, 12766 Olive Blvd., Creve Coeur, MO 63141, (314) 439-5100.
Eat-Rite Diner (4 stars/76 reviews), Lasalle, 622 Chouteau Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63102, (314) 621-9621.